Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Levitation, Seriously!!!

I am so excited. So many things are happening that I'd hoped for but wasn't certain would occur in my lifetime. In a few days we'll be swearing in our first Black president (Hooray Obama!!!), and today I just read about scientists discovering how to levitate things:


By Julie Steenhuysen
updated 5:44 p.m. ET, Wed., Jan. 7, 2009

CHICAGO - U.S. scientists have found a way to levitate the very smallest objects using the strange forces of quantum mechanics, and said on Wednesday they might use it to help make tiny nanotechnology machines.
They said they had detected and measured a force that comes into play at the molecular level using certain combinations of molecules that repel one another.
The repulsion can be used to hold molecules aloft, in essence levitating them, creating virtually friction-free parts for tiny devices, the researchers said.

If you want to read the whole article, check it out here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28546058/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings! Thanks for joining in the conversation on my blog. Please know that I am all about listening and not judging. Please follow the Golden Rule when posting. Be kind to others and if you disagree with me or another commenter, please do so politely. Thanks and have a lovely day!